John Edward Cooper’s Notes

HomeContentsAlphabetical listingWhom I’d like to meet in eternity…
 

Mothering Sunday, 1955

Early Days

Sunday 20th March 1955
 1. “To Mother on Mothering Sunday,” reads a card bookmark, with a colour picture of violets on it with a Gothic-style church in the background, and a four-line verse underneath. On the back of it I have scrawled, “From John, 1955”, with the “9” written back to front. Mothering Sunday is celebrated in England on the fourth Sunday in Lent, which in 1955 fell on 20th March. I think the card must have been produced at the Sunday School of St. Andrew’s Church, Ashton-on-Ribble, though I have no memories of Sunday School when we lived in Preston. It couldn’t have been produced at St. Andrew’s School, anyway, because I wouldn’t start day-school for another two months.

Late 1960s or early 1970s
 2. Of considerably later date is the “Happy Mother’s Day” card with my tongue-in-cheek “To Mummy with love from (your adoring son) John xxx”. The relatively tightly written, slanted handwriting style belongs, I guess, to my late teens or early twenties. (Different countries celebrate “Mother’s Day” on different days, but in the United Kingdom it falls on “Mothering Sunday” and the two terms can be used interchangeably.)





Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]